These Self Defense Weapons are Legal in Lousiana
- Pepper Spray
- Bear Spray
- Stun Guns
- Tactical Pens
Louisiana Gun Laws
- Open carry is generally allowed without a permit
- Lousiana is a ‘shall-issue’ state
- Cities are allowed to restrict firearms if they had laws in place before 1985
- Louisiana accepts conceal carry weapons (CCW) permits from any state that accepts its permits
Louisiana is a “shall issue” state for concealed carry. The Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall issue a concealed handgun permit to qualified applicants, after performing an NICS background check and giving the local police 10 days to provide additional information about the applicant.
An applicant must demonstrate handgun proficiency by taking a training course from an approved instructor, or by having been trained while serving in the military. Concealed carry is not permitted in any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a class A-General retail permit, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, or in any place of worship, government meeting place, courthouse, police station, polling place, parade, or in certain other locations.
Is Pepperspray Legal?
Yes, in Louisiana you may use pepper spray for self-defense purposes. There are some basic requirements to possess pepper spray
- You must be 18 or older
- Can’t be a convicted felon
- Can only be used defensively
Pepper spray (also known as capsaicin spray) is a lachrymatory agent (a chemical compound that irritates the eyes to cause a burning sensation, pain, and temporary blindness) used in policing, riot control, crowd control, and self-defense, including defense against dogs and bears. Its inflammatory effects cause the eyes to close, taking away vision.
This temporary blindness allows officers to more easily restrain subjects and permits people in danger to use pepper spray in self-defense for an opportunity to escape. It also causes temporary discomfort and burning of the lungs which causes shortness of breath.
Related: Best Pepper Spray and Stun Gun Combos
Is a Pocket Knife Legal?
Yes, you may own and use a pocket knife in the State of Louisiana.
Switchblades, spring knives, a knife that opens with the flick of a wrist, or any ‘automatic’ knife is illegal to carry in Louisiana.
§95. Illegal carrying of weapons
A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:
(1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one’s person; or
(2) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used as a dangerous weapon, at any time by an enemy alien; or
(3) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any tools, or dynamite, or nitroglycerine, or explosives, or other instrumentality customarily used by thieves or burglars at any time by any person with the intent to commit a crime; or
(4)(a) The intentional concealment on one’s person of any switchblade knife, spring knife, or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch, or similar contrivance located on the handle.
(b) The provisions of this Paragraph shall not apply to the following:
(i) Any knife that may be opened with one hand by manual pressure applied to the blade or any projection of the blade.
(ii) Any knife that may be opened by means of inertia produced by the hand, wrist, or other movement, provided the knife has either a detent or other structure that provides resistance that shall be overcome in opening or initiating the opening movement of the blade or a bias or spring load toward the closed position.
These Weapons are Illegal in Louisiana
- Any automatic knife
- A concealed firearm without a permit
- Explosives such as nitroglycerin
- Any tool or weapon customarily used by thieves or burglars with intent to commit a crime
Louisiana Stand Your Ground Law
Lousiana is a stand your ground and castle doctrine state.
This means that are you allowed to use up to deadly force to defend yourself, someone else, on your property and there is no duty to retreat on your property. It’s important to note that you absolutely could not have started the altercation to be covered under this protection. In other words, you couldn’t have intentionally shoved someone and then shoot him when he shoves you back.
Some situations where deadly force is allowed:
- If you believe someone is about to use unlawful deadly force;
- If you believe that a burglar is about to use physical force;
- If someone is about to rape, kidnap, assault, or rob you.
- When a person attempts to unlawfully enter a home or vehicle, or attempts to remove a person from such in order to occupy it
- When someone attempts to injure another person
If Someone Comes onto Your Property Can You Shoot Them?
Yes but you must genuinely feel there is a credible threat to your person, someone else, or your property. You can’t just shoot someone you don’t like or a door-to-door salesman just because they came onto your property for example. The force must be ‘reasonable’ to stop the trespasser.
Can You Shoot Someone for Breaking into Your Car in Louisiana?
If you are inside the car while they are doing it yes, otherwise no.
(4)(a) When committed by a person lawfully inside a dwelling, a place of business, or a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), against a person who is attempting to make an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, or who has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, and the person committing the homicide reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry or to compel the intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle.
Tactical Pens are Legal in Lousiana
A tactical pen is essentially a hidden self-defense tool. What better way to hide a defense weapon other than in plain sight. It can be used for writing, stopping someone by causing a minor wound, breaking things and even breaking glass if you use it well.
The tactical pens were created for people who don’t want to use a gun for self-defense and wish to have some useful things that can potentially become a weapon. You can get the Ape Survival Multi-Use Tactical pen for free here. It’s a screw diver, hexa-wrench, flashlight, and glass breaker, and yes it actually writes. And of course, it’s legal in The Palmetto State.
Best Left-Handed Concealed Carry Holsters
10 Awesome Self Defense Gadgets